Friday, March 12, 2010

Rules of composition

I was taught the 6 rules of composition…

Fresh from class and I had only 1 hour before the day ends to catch the sun. So I walked around Chinatown armed with my LV speedy, 1 folder in one hand, 1 camera bag sling across, 1 camera hung around me neck, my snack in another.. damn klutz damn difficult lar…. coz I was hungry .. okie I was greedy, You know Chinatown and their goodies right?

Then I kept looking at the notes in the folder coz I can’t remember the “laws” while trying to focus on what composition to take .. plus I was dying for a nice cup of bubble tea, no thanks to the ken’s assistant who was drinking it while I departed from the studio which made me pining for a nice cold cup.

1) Rule of the thirds: Dividing the picture into 3 parts (fail coz the 1/2 is not prominent)

2) Panorama: Wide angle shot (fail I shouldn't have zoomed in but take a wide shot and crop the top, bottom)
3) Barrier : Having a barrier before the subject, subject have to be clear while the barrier is blurred or out of focus
4) Angle view : Using a different angle to shoot the subject
5) Frame within a frame: Using something else to frame the subject (fail as it looks more like lines)
6) Lead in lines: Using lines to lead into the subject

So I think it was not too bad for a 1/2 hour’s job though it was rather slipshod as I was rushing to go home cause my parking tickets was expiring. But this how I learn, through mistakes that I make and now I have a urge to walk around to do another round just to master it.

Nevertheless, Photography IS a learning process

No comments:

Post a Comment