Friday, March 12, 2010

Night Photography

we met at 7pm for our night field trip

Armed with my tripod, reading up on exposure compensation and how to use my self timer. Totally different from day but damn fun! This place is near the parliament house for those who like me - never knew this place exist *hangs head in shame*

We took our cameras out and took some shots on how we wanted our composition.
this was my 1st test shot
but decided on this cause I like the reflections and the fence at the left hand side

Set up the tripod,set it to aperture 4 and waited to take a photo of "Magic hour" - the ambient lights (sun/moon) and the artificial lights are of the same contrast. Every photo is on self timer.
you can see that the lights are almost the same as the sky... this magic hour is only available for mere seconds or minute. this by the way... after 1930 coz no more ERP .. keke
one minute after
and the magic is gone... fun right?!
the sky is getting dark now
adjusted the exposure compensation to allow more light.. but don't quite like it.. that by the way was my last shot

It was off to explore the other parts of the bank and be back by 15 minutes. So I walk around and blur me didn't know how to go the other side but instead found the bridge and the road. So I stylo mylo wanted to "F1 photos"... with my so damn bloody limited skills.


After like damn many shoots, I managed to get 2 nice ones. Cause got to wait for traffic light lar, then the shutter speed wrong lar, then shutter speed took so long just to snap one and by the time the car drove away.. you know the gist lar.. 1o mins was up
moved my tripod a little to find this.. swee!

then it was back to the bank, while waiting for the others to come back, tried a few shots
After like spending 45 mins there trying to capture "magic hour" and 15 mins of random shooting, we walked over the other side to learn about shutter speed and its effects with water.

Tv/s 4 gives us fierce angry water
Tv/s 20 however gives you smooth calm waters... but DAMN long to take a photo

an example of lead in lines
Tv/s 4
tv/s 20

Notice my composition in the 1st photo has a straight horizon. But Ken wanted us to take another with a Dutch angle (7th rule) means slanting the horizon a little. He helped me adjust my camera and we got more waters than buildings, giving it more depth and didn't it just made my picture pop?

after taking so many shoots of the boat going up and down.. I caught a great photo... don't you just love it! awwww photography.....


Night photography is a whole different ball game. Half the time I was struggling to use my tripod, mainly because I'm more comfortable holding the camera and felt really uneasy placing on a tripod fearing it will topple or that I didn't tighten the knobs enough to cause it to drop.

Although it seems simple enough with just a tripod, a camera.. its to me a waiting game, a game you can never control well enough like in the day where there are more variables to play with..

But nevertheless, I totally loved it... its fun and very in fact testing one's imagination.

No comments:

Post a Comment